Peace of Mind – standard on every policy 

Whether it’s driving to the office, to the next field or getting the kids to soccer, making sure you have the protection you need to keep you on the road is what Edge Mutual does.

When you insure with Edge Mutual, you’re placing your trust in a neighbour – someone who lives in your community and drives the same roads that you do. When accidents happen on that tricky stretch of road – we can relate. We’re familiar with the driving conditions you face each and every day.

Automobile policies not only provide coverage to the most common vehicles you see on the road such as cars, trucks and motorcycles, they also provide coverage for snowmobiles and off-road vehicles including ATV's (all terrain vehicles).


The Auto Insurance Program provides you with options that may include:

  • Higher accident benefit limits
  • Protection Plus – qualified drivers may ‘protect’ their driving record following an accident
  • Emergency Road Service Excess Coverage - reimburses you for up to $50 for any emergency service you need for your vehicle
  • Coverage for Transportation Replacement – to keep you going when your vehicle is out of service because of an insured loss
  • Rental Vehicle Liability Insurance - so you no longer have to buy coverage sold by a rental company 

Great Ways To Save...

  • We can make your insurance as affordable as possible with coverages that take advantage of your excellent driving record.
  • Insure your home, condominium unit or farm residence with us and you may be eligible to save on your auto policy premiums.
  • A discount may apply to your private passenger auto policy if you are retired and over the age of 65.
  • You may be eligible for savings on your auto insurance premium if you’ve been with us for three consecutive years.
  • A discount may apply if you have an approved after-market theft deterrent system installed by an approved installation facility.


Edge Mutual Insurance Company only issues policies to Ontario residents.


  • Liability
  • Direct Compensation - Property Damage
  • Uninsured Automobile
  • Accident Benefits


Talk to your broker about additional coverage and increased limits available for added protection.

  • All Perils - the broadest coverage for all types of losses except those specifically excluded
  • Collision or Upset - pays for damage caused by collision with another object or upset
  • Comprehensive - damage caused to your vehicle, except for collision or upset
  • Specified Perils - only pays for losses caused by perils specifically listed in the policy


You can drive a snowmobile if you have a valid Ontario driver’s licence (any class). If you do not have a driver’s licence and you are 12 years of age or older, a valid motorized snow-vehicle operator’s licence (MSVOL) will allow you to drive on trails established and maintained by a recreational organization for the use of snowmobiles. However, you must be 16 years of age or older and have a driver’s licence or a motorized snow-vehicle operator’s licence (not both) to drive a snowmobile along or across a public road where snowmobiles are allowed.

An MSVOL is issued by the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs in co-operation with the Ministry of Transportation. You must successfully pass a snowmobile driver-training course to get a licence.

If you are a visitor to Ontario and wish to drive a snowmobile while you are here, you must have a valid licence that allows you to drive a snowmobile in your home province, state or country.

You must carry your driver’s licence or snow-vehicle operator’s licence when you are driving your snowmobile anywhere other than on your own property. You must show it when asked by a police or conservation officer.

If your driver’s licence or snow-vehicle operator’s licence has been suspended, you may not drive any type of vehicle on or off any roads or in any public place.

For more information, view the Driver's Handbook on the Ontario Ministry of Transportation website.



The Ontario Highway Traffic Act (HTA) defines a motorcycle as a self-propelled vehicle with a seat or saddle for the driver, designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.

Three-wheeled motorcycles are  commonly referred to as motor tricycles. A three-wheeled motorcycle may have either two front wheels or two rear wheels, or may be a two-wheeled motorcycle with a sidecar.

Motor tricycles manufactured  to comply with the HTA’s motorcycle definition can be registered to drive on Ontario’s public roads only if they:

  • Have seating on which all occupants must sit astride
  • Do not have more than four  designated seating positions
  • Do not have a gross vehicle  weight rating of greater than  1,000 kilograms
  • Do not have a structure partially or fully enclosing the driver and passenger, other than that part of the vehicle forward of the driver’s torso and the seat backrest

Vehicles commonly referred to  as motor scooters are considered motorcycles. Depending on the  characteristics of the vehicle, a  motor scooter may be considered  a limited-speed motorcycle.

Motorcycles must be registered with the Ministry of Transportation and have a valid motorcycle licence plate attached in order to be driven on public roads in Ontario.

Limited-Speed Motorcycles (LSMs)

A limited-speed motorcycle is a  motorcycle to which the manufacturer has affixed a compliance label, as required by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), which indicates the vehicle type as “LSM/MVL.”

Typically, LSMs are gas powered, cannot go faster than 70 km/h,  have a “step-through design” and automatic transmission. 

If the vehicle was manufactured before September 1, 1988, and does not have a label, it is a limited-speed motorcycle if it has all of the following characteristics:

  • Minimum attainable speed of 32 km/h on level ground within 1.6 kilometres from a standing start
  • Maximum speed of 70 km/h or less
  • Steering handlebars that are completely restrained from  rotating in relation to the axle  of only one wheel in contact with the ground
  • Minimum seat height, when  not laden, of 650 millimetres
  • Minimum wheel-rim diameter  of 250 millimetres
  • Minimum wheelbase of  1,016 millimetres
  • Engine displacement of 50 cubic  centimetres or less

Limited-speed motorcycles must  be registered with the Ministry of Transportation and have a valid limited-speed motorcycle licence plate or a regular motorcycle licence plate (if plated before November 28, 2005) attached in order to be driven on public roads. 

ATV's / Off-Road

 Beginning July 1, 2015, the province is implementing new changes to ORV and ATV. These changes include:

  • Allowing more types of off-road vehicles (ORVs) and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) - including two-up ATVs, side-by-side ORVs and utility terrain vehicles (UTVs) - on the shoulder of public roads, where permitted
  • Mandating that all riders - including drivers and passengers of all ages - wear an approved motorcycle helmet and use a seatbelt or foot rests, where applicable
  • Children under the age of eight will not be allowed as a passenger on any ATV/ORV operating on-road
  • Limiting the number of passengers to the number of available seating positions
  • Requiring compliance labels on all ATVs/ORVs
  • Clarifying access and exemptions for farmers and trappers and for Far Northern Ontario municipalities

 For more information on these changes, click HERE.

Smart Ride Safe Ride ATV/ORV Handbook

The Smart Ride Safe Ride handbook outlines the rules and requirements for ATVs and ORVs. It will tell you:

  • where you can ride your ATV/ORV
  • who can drive an ATV/ORV in Ontario
  • the road rules you need to follow
  • how to be a safe and responsible ATV/ORV rider

Read the Smart Ride Safe Ride handbook (PDF - 6.16 MB)